avviso di seminari

Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Statistiche
Università di Trieste

AVVISO DI SEMINARI

Giorgio Calzolari, Università di Firenze

"Indirect Inference and Constrained EMM"

lunedì 21 maggio, ore 16
Aula DISES, Facoltà di Economia

Alan Gelfand, Università di Connecticut

"Bayesian Approaches for Misaligned Data Layers and the Modifiable Areal
Unit Problem"

martedì 22 maggio, ore 16
Aula DISES, Facoltà di Economia

Abstract:

In attempting to establish relationships between spatial
variables, one often encounters misaligned data layers.
For example, the response variable may be observed on one
areal grid and the explanatory variable on another. In some
cases one variable is observed areally while the other is
observed at point sources.  In attempting to reconcile
such misalignment, one finds a variety of ad hoc methods
in the literature.  We propose fully model-based approaches
to develop such regressions.  Such models are necessarily
hierarchical and provide full inference, avoiding typically
inappropriate asymptotics associated with likelihood-based
approaches.  We discuss general approaches for handling the
different types of misalignment and then illustrate the first
situation (with which we have the most experience) using an
environmental risk dataset and also a very large deforestationdataset.