[Forum SIS] Seminario PERIN (RGS, ADAMSS, CIMAB & Matematica Applicata)

Giacomo Aletti giacomo.aletti a unimi.it
Lun 18 Maggio 2015 12:50:58 CEST

Con preghiera di diffusione tra tutti i possibili interessati,
scusandomi per invii multipli.
Cordialmente,
Giacomo Aletti

--------------

Nell'ambito dei Reading Group Seminars e del Seminario di Matematica
Applicata, in collaborazione col centro ADAMSS e il CIMAB, il giorno lunedì
25 Maggio 2015, alle ore 14.30, nell'Aula C del Dipartimento di Matematica
dell'Universita' degli Studi di Milano, Via C. Saldini, 50, Milano,

"Information coding in vestibular hair cells"
Paola PERIN
University of Pavia

Abstract: Hair cells are the mechanoreceptors in our auditory and
vestibular systems. Vestibular afferent neurons are classified on the basis
of their motion selectivity (direction, response to linear vs. angular
motion), discharge regularity, gain and dynamics (tonic vs. phasic). The
properties of vestibular hair cells and afferent fibers are optimized for
the transduction for low frequency stimuli (head motion, mostly below 50
Hz). Moreover, vestibular hair cells display a resting transmitter release
rate which is used to set a baseline: increases above resting discharge
signal movements in one direction, decreases signal movements in the
opposite direction. Whereas discharge regularity appears to be a
postsynaptic property, afferent dynamics is determined presynaptically, but
the mechanisms involved are still unclear.
In our work we have recorded currents, voltages and release from vestibular
hair cells from the frog utricle and built a model of a hair cell connected
to an afferent fiber upon mechanical stimulation. Our results suggest that
dynamics is affected by ion currents (especially BK and IA) whereas
presynaptic release properties  affect resting discharge but not
postsynaptic dynamics.

================

Per chi volesse seguire il seminario in remoto ricordo inoltre che sarà
possibile dopo aver segnalato il proprio interessamento entro le 12 del
giorno del seminario.

Reading Group Seminars: The Reading Group Seminars (RGS) are organized within
an open community of researchers interested in applying up to date
mathematical modeling and data analysis approaches to the study of
biological systems. The RGS take place at the Math. Department in Milan
(via Saldini). Initiatives and updates are published on the website: http://
rgs.mat.unimi.it/.