[Forum SIS] Seminario Fan LI

Matteo Ruggiero matteo.ruggiero a unito.it
Mar 9 Apr 2013 14:54:59 CEST

STATISTICS SEMINARS  -  COLLEGIO CARLO ALBERTO

Venerdi' 12 Aprile 2013, alle ore 12:00, presso la sala rossa del
Collegio Carlo Alberto, Moncalieri (TO), si terra' il seguente seminario:

FAN LI (Duke University)

BAYESIAN INFERENCE FOR REGRESSION DISCONTINUITY DESIGNS
WITH APPLICATION TO ITALIAN UNIVERSITY GRANTS EVALUATIONS

Abstract:
Regression discontinuity (RD) designs are usually interpreted as local
randomized experiments: A RD design can be considered as though
it were a randomized experiment for units with a realized value of a
 so-called forcing variable falling immediately around a pre-fixed
 threshold. Motivated from the evaluation of Italian university grants,
 we consider a fuzzy RD where the receipt of the treatment is based
on eligibility criteria and a voluntary application status: Only subjects
 who both meet eligibility criteria and apply for participating in the
 treatment can receive the treatment. The application status provides
 valuable information on the reasons underlying the receipt of the
 treatment, which is generally unknown to the researcher, and we show
 how to capitalize on it. We propose a probabilistic formulation of the
 assignment mechanism and develop a Bayesian approach to draw
inferences for the causal effects around the threshold. Multivariate
outcomes are utilized to further sharpen the analysis. The method is
applied to evaluate the effects of Italian university grants on student
dropout and academic performances. Posterior predictive model
checks are also conducted to validate the analysis.
This is a joint work with Alessandra Mattei and Fabrizia Mealli.

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Il seminario e' organizzato dalla "de Castro" Statistics Initiative
(http://www.carloalberto.org/stats) in collaborazione con il
Collegio Carlo Alberto.
Il programma dei seminari puo' essere consultato alla pagina
http://www.carloalberto.org/events/seminars/statistics/

---------
Matteo Ruggiero
University of Torino & Collegio Carlo Alberto
http://web.econ.unito.it/ruggiero