[Forum SIS] Politecnico di Milano - Seminario Dr. S. Ray

Laura Sangalli laura.sangalli a polimi.it
Mar 9 Apr 2013 17:50:23 CEST

Si avvisa che in data 12-04-2013, alle ore 14:30 precise,
presso Aula Seminari F. Saleri VI Piano MOX - Dipartimento di
Matematica, Politecnico di Milano,
nell'ambito delle iniziative MOX e del progetto FIRB Futuro in Ricerca
SNAPLE (http://mox.polimi.it/users/sangalli/firb.html), si svolgerà il
seguente seminario:

Relatore:
Suragit Ray
University of Glasgow

Titolo:
Functional Factor Analysis For Periodic Remote Sensing Data

Abstract:
We present a new approach to factor rotation for functional data. This
rotation is achieved by rotating the functional principal components
towards a pre-defined space of periodic functions designed to decompose
the total variation into components that are nearlyperiodic and
nearly-aperiodic with a pre-defined period. We show that the factor
rotation can be obtained by calculation of canonical correlations
between appropriate spaces which makes the methodology computationally
efficient. Moreover we demonstrate that our proposed rotations provide
stable and interpretable results in the presence of highly complex
covariance. This work is motivated by the goal of finding interpretable
sources of variability in vegetation index obtained from remote sensing
instruments and we demonstrate our methodology through an application of
factor rotation of this data.

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Cordiali saluti,
Laura Sangalli

--
Laura Maria Sangalli