avviso di seminario Prof. Hitsch (GSB University of Chicago)

Si dà avviso che il giorno 6 Luglio, alle ore 11.00, presso i locali del Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche dell’Università Federico II di Napoli, il Prof. G. Hitsch (Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago) terrà un seminario dal titolo:

What Makes you Click:

an Empirical Analysis of Online Dating

 Abstract

This paper uses a novel data set obtained from a major online dating service to draw inferences on mate preferences and the match outcomes of the site users. The data set contains detailed information on user attributes such as income, education, physique, and attractiveness, as well as information on the users' religion, political inclination, etc. The data set also contains a detailed record of all online activities of the users. In particular, we know whether a site member approaches a potential mate and receives a reply, and we have some limited information on the content of the exchanged e-mails. A drawback of the data set is that we do not observe any online" activities. We first compare the reported demographic characteristics of the site users to the characteristics of the population-at-large. We then discuss the conditions under which the user's observed behaviour reveals their mate preferences. We estimate these preferences and relate them to own and partner attributes. Finally, we predict the equilibrium structure of matches based on the preference estimates and a simple matching protocol, and compare the resulting sorting along attributes such as income and education to observed online matches and actual marriages in the U.S.

tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare,

cordiali saluti,

Melina Cappelli

Carmela Cappelli Department of Statistics
School of Political Science University of Naples Federico II
Via Rodinò n. 22 80138 Naples, Italy
tel: +39-081-2537553 fax:+39-081-2537466