ANNUNCIO SEMINARI PROF. MAYER

************AVVISO DI SEMINARI***********

28 e 29 aprile 2004 ore 15:00

Libera Universitą "S. Pio V", via delle Sette Chiese
139, Roma

Il Prof. Alvo Mayer, direttore del Dipartimento di
Matematica e Statistica dell'Universitą di Ottawa terrą
due seminari sui temi sotto indicati. Tutti gli
interessati sono cordialmente invitati a partecipare.
Per informazioni:
Prof. Giuseppe Manfredi
giuseppe.manfredi@luspio.it

28 aprile
Talk 1: The use of Chebyshev polynomials in
computing Hypergeometric
probabilities.

Abstract :Using Chebyshev polynomials we generate
an algorithm
for the efficient calculation of hypergeometric
probabilities. For a
fixed population of size N and fixed sample size n,
such
calculations simultaneously produce distributions for
all possible
values of the population number of "successes" M.

29 aprile
Talk 2: The analysis of ranking data in two-way
designs.

Abstract: We consider the situation of incomplete
rankings in which
n judges are presented with k objects which are
ranked
independently by the judges. We wish to test the
null hypothesis
that each judge, when presented with the specified
objects, picks
the ranking at random from the space of k!
permutations of the
integers  (1,2,...,k). The statistic considered is a
generalization of
the Friedman test in which the ranks assigned by
each judge are
replaced by real valued functions of the ranks.  We
define a
measure of pairwise similarity between complete
rankings based on
such functions, and use averages of such similarities
to construct
measures of the level of concordance of the judges'
rankings. In
the complete ranking case, the resulting statistics
coincide with
those defined by Hįjek and Šidįk (1967) and Sen
(1968). We
extend these measures of similarity in the complete
case to the
situation of incomplete rankings, and derive a
statistic in this more
general situation and investigate its properties.

NOTA:
Le norme per utilizzare il forum SIS e le
istruzioni per iscrizione e cancellazione
sono disponibili all'indirizzo
.
.   http://w3.uniroma1.it/sis/forum.asp
.