No Subject

Istituto Metodi Quantitativi - Universitŕ L. Bocconi
Viale Isonzo, 25 - 20135 Milano
Tel. 02-58365629  - Fax 02-58365630

SEMINARIO

On fractal distribution function
estimation and applications

  Stefano Iacus
Dipartimento di Economia Politica Aziendale
Universita' degli Studi di Milano

Giovedě, 7 marzo  2002  ore 16.00
Aula IMQ (stanza n. 137)

Abstract:  We review some recent results concerning the approximations of
distribution functions and measures on [0,1] based on iterated function
systems. The two different approaches available in the literature are
considered and their relation are investigated in the statistical
perspective. In the second part of the paper we propose a new class of
estimators for the distribution function and the related characteristic and
density functions estimators.  Via Monte Carlo analysis we show that, for
small sample sizes, the proposed estimator can be as efficient or even
better than the empirical distribution function and the kernel density
estimator respectively. This work is to be considered as a first attempt in
the construction of new class of estimators based on fractal objects.