Data Visualisation

Dear friends
I am interested in seeking your thoughts on the use of visualisation for
exploratory
analysis of data, and in particular the potential for gaining useful
insights into the data
which you work with. The background is our involvement in an FP5 Project called
Vitamin S (standing for Visual Data Mining System).
The aim of the project is to develop methods and software tools for
visualizing (very) large data sets of  the kind produced by National
Statistical Offices and not only. These may include
data sets consisting of time series or spatial data with some eventual
(hierarchical) structure, or
alternatively  survey data, or indeed any other kind of data set.

As part of this process, a questionnaire is being circulated mainly in
NSI's or Department of Statistics. The questionnaire is
intended to get  some  information about the needs . It is concerned
primarily with information
about data sets and the kind of data analysis which goes on through the
process of data production, validation and reporting, and generally what
scope there is for visualisation.

  I would greatly appreciate it if you, or someone in your Department were
able to find time to
respond. I have attached the questionnaire below. I intend to try and
gather together as many responses as I can at the beginning of April.

(See attached file: Survey.doc)

Thanks

Carlo Lauro

Prof. Carlo Lauro
Dipartimento di Matematica e Statistica
Universita' degli Studi di Napoli "Federico II"
Via Cintia - Complesso Monte Sant'Angelo
I-80126 Napoli

tel.: +39 081 675189    fax: +39 081 675113
e-mail: carlo.lauro@unina.it

Survey3.doc