[Forum SIS] 2nd Seminar "D2 Seminar Series" - Florence Center for Data Science

datascience a unifi.it datascience a unifi.it
Ven 28 Maggio 2021 09:47:00 CEST

Dear all,

The Florence Center for Data Science is happy to present the second
Seminar of the “D2 Seminar Series” launched by the FDS. The Seminar will
be held online Friday 4th of June 2021, from 2-3.30 pm.
The seminar will be held by Assistant Professor Cesare Bracco, PhD from
the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science “Ulisse Dini” and
Professor Leonardo Boncinelli from the Department of Economics and
Management of the University of Florence (see below the abstracts).

Register in advance for this webinar (free of charge):
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_mTISDxUKSMuDqMj-QuKi4w

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

We hope to see you there! You are invited to invite also your students,
PhDs and colleagues who may be interested in the Seminar (you find a
Flyer with all the info attached).

Kind Regards,
Florence Center for Data Science

----------

Webinar Speakers

Cesare Bracco (Assistant Professor @Department of Mathematics and
Computer Science “Ulisse Dini”, University of Florence)
Title: Scattered data: surface reconstruction and fault detection
(joint work with O. Davydov, C. Giannelli, D. Großmann, S. Imperatore,
D. Mokriš, A. Sestini)

Abstract: We will consider two aspects concerning scattered data
approximation. The first is reconstructing a (parametrized) surface from
a set of scattered points: the lack of structure in the data requires
approximation methods that automatically adapt to the distribution and
shape of the data themselves. We will discuss an effective approach to
this issue based on hierarchical spline spaces, which can be locally
refined, and therefore naturally lead to adaptive algorithms. The
reconstruction problem contains another interesting problem: detecting
the discontinuities the surface may have in order to reproduce them.
Finding the discontinuity curves, usually called faults (or gradient
faults when gradient discontinuities are considered), is actually an
important issue in itself, with several applications, for example in
image processing and geophysics. I will present a method to determine
which points in the scattered data set lie close to a (gradient) fault,
based on indicators obtained by using numerical differentiation
formulas.

Leonardo Boncinelli (Professor @Department of Economics and Management,
University of Florence)
Title: Game-based education promotes sustainable water use

Abstract: In this study, we estimate the impact of a game-based
educational program aimed at promoting sustainable water usage among
2nd-4th grade students and their families living in the municipality of
Lucca, Italy. To this purpose, we exploited unique data from a
quasi-experiment involving about two thousand students, one thousand
participating (the treatment group), and one thousand not participating
(the control group) in the program. Data were collected by means of a
survey that we specifically designed and implemented for collecting
students' self-reported behaviours. Our estimates indicate that the
program has been successful: the students in the program reported an
increase in efficient water usage and an increase in the frequency of
discussions with their parents about water usage; moreover, positive
effects were still observed after six months. Our findings suggest that
game-based educational programs can be an effective instrument to
promote sustainable water consumption behaviors in children and their
parents.