[Forum SIS] seminar: Seyed Morteza Najibi "Functional Singular Spectrum Analysis with application to remote sensing data", 8 June

Umberto Picchini umberto.picchini a gmail.com
Gio 3 Giu 2021 11:23:39 CEST

You are welcome to the next Statistics seminar at Dept of Mathematical
Sciences at Chalmers and Göteborg University, Sweden.

We are very glad to have, on Tuesday 8 June, Seyed Morteza Najibi
<https://www.smnajibi.com/> (Lund University) who will talk on

/*Functional Singular Spectrum Analysis with application to remote
sensing data */
*//*

Zoom:https://chalmers.zoom.us/j/69382451762
Password: 621424

When: 14.15-15.15 Swedish time,  8 June.

Feel free to circulate this invitation in your network.

*​Abstract *
*
One of the popular approaches in the decomposition of time series is
accomplished using the rates of change. In this approach, the observed
time series is partitioned (decomposed) into informative trends plus
potential seasonal (cyclical) and noise (irregular) components. Aligned
with this principle, Singular Spectrum Analysis (SSA) is a model-free
procedure that is commonly used as a nonparametric technique in
analyzing the time series. SSA does not require restrictive assumptions
such as stationarity, linearity, and normality. It can be used for a
wide range of purposes such as trend and periodic component detection
and extraction, smoothing, forecasting, change-point detection, gap
filling, causality, and so on.
In this talk, I will briefly overview SSA methodology and introduce a
new extension called functional SSA to analyze functional time series.
This is developed by integrating ideas from functional data analysis and
univariate SSA. I will demonstrate this approach for tracking changes in
vegetation over time by analyzing the kernel density functions of
Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) images. At the end of the
talk, I will also illustrate a simulated example in the interactive
Shiny web application implemented in the Rfssa package.

About the speaker
**
Seyed Morteza Najibi <https://www.smnajibi.com/> is a research fellow in
Statistical Machine Learning at Lund University (Sweden). He researches
probabilistic models to combine computational and experimental methods
in protein modeling and prediction. Other specific interests include
directional statistics, Bayesian modeling and non-parametrics.

*

Umberto Picchini, Associate Professor, PhD, Docent
https://umbertopicchini.github.io/  , twitter: @uPicchini