[Forum SIS] seminar: "Critical branching as a pure death process coming down from infinity", Serik Sagitov, 14 December

Umberto Picchini umberto.picchini a gmail.com
Dom 12 Dic 2021 21:07:48 CET

You are welcome to the next Statistics seminar at Dept of Mathematical
Sciences at Chalmers and Göteborg University.

We are very glad to have, on Tuesday December 14,Serik Sagitov
<https://www.chalmers.se/en/staff/Pages/serik.aspx> (Chalmers/Gothenburg
University)who will talk of:

/"//Critical branching as a pure death process coming down from infinity "/
/
/
*S. Sagitov**About the speaker: *Serik Sagitov is Professor of
Mathematical Statistics at dept. of Mathematical Sciences at Chalmers
and University of Göteborg, where he is the head of the division of
Applied Mathematics and Statistics. His research interests are branching
processes, coalescent theory, population genetics, mathematical
phylogenetics, stochastic demography. In 2019 he was awarded the
Strömer-Ferrner Award from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences for his
contribution to stochastic population dynamics.

*Abstract: *
We consider a critical Galton-Watson process with overlapping
generations stemming from a single founder. Assuming that both the
variance of the offspring number and the average generation length are
finite, we establish the convergence of the finite-dimensional
distributions of this branching process, conditioned on non-extinction
at a remote time of observation, to those of a pure death process. This
result brings a new perspective on Vatutin's dichotomy claiming that in
the critical regime of age-dependent reproduction, an extant population
either contains a large number of short-living individuals or consists
of few long-living individuals.
*
*
*
*

*Feel free to spread this announcement in your network.*
*
*
*Where*: https://chalmers.zoom.us/j/63460569841
  Password: 187094
**

****
*When*: Tuesday 14 December at 14.15-15.15 (Swedish time).
**
**

Umberto Picchini, Associate Professor, PhD, Docent
https://umbertopicchini.github.io/  , twitter: @uPicchini