[Forum SIS] Seminario: Lorenzo Trippa, Adaptive trial design in glioblastoma

Antonio Pievatolo antonio.pievatolo a mi.imati.cnr.it
Ven 28 Giu 2019 11:28:59 CEST

Thursday 4 July 2019 at 14:30

Lorenzo Trippa, Harvard University and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute,
Department of Statistics and Computational Biology

CNR IMATI, Via A. Corti, 12, Milano, Aula B

*Adaptive trial design in glioblastoma*

There have been few treatment advances for patients with glioblastoma
(GBM) despite increasing scientific understanding of the disease. While
factors such as intrinsic tumor biology and drug delivery are challenges
to developing efficacious therapies, it is unclear whether the current
clinical trial landscape is optimally evaluating new therapies and
biomarkers. We queried ClinicalTrials.gov for interventional clinical
trials for patients with GBM initiated between January 2005 and December
2016 and abstracted data regarding phase, status, start and end dates,
testing locations, endpoints, experimental interventions, sample size,
clinical presentation/indication, and design to better understand the
clinical trials landscape. Only approximately 8%–11% of patients with
newly diagnosed GBM enroll on clinical trials with a similar estimate
for all patients with GBM. Trial duration was similar across phases with
median time to completion between 3 and 4 years. While 93% of clinical
trials were in phases I–II, 26% of the overall clinical trial patient
population was enrolled on phase III studies. We use the results of this
meta analysis to discuss pros and cons of trial designs in GBM. This
analysis includes platforms and the use of external controls. Platform
design allow to add new experimental arms to the clinical study when
they become available, while the aim of an external controls is to
leverage external data that were not generated from the clinical study.

--
Dr Antonio Pievatolo
IMATI-CNR