[Forum SIS] Seminar: butler a DISMEQ Department of Statistics and Quantitative-Methods, University of Milano-Bicocca

Fulvia Pennoni fulvia.pennoni a unimib.it
Mar 29 Maggio 2018 11:53:54 CEST

Department of Statistics and Quantitative-Methods,
Via Bicocca degli Arcimboldi, 8 - 20126 Milano

“DEVELOPING EFFECTIVE COLLABORATION BETWEEN STATISTICIANS
                     AND
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST”

Adam Butler

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland

Monday, June 4

11.00  room 4026,  4th floor U7

Abstract:

Statistical methods and ideas play an absolutely central role within
ecology and the environmental sciences, and these disciplines, in turn,
present a wide range of interesting and challenging problems for
research statisticians. The development of effective collaborations
between statisticians and scientists is therefore critical.
My job as an applied environmental statistician involves working at the
interface between statistics and the environmental and ecological
sciences through statistical consultancy, applied statistical research
and, most commonly, through activities that lie somewhere in-between
these two roles. In this talk I will outline some of the general lessons
that I have learnt from my experiences in working at this interface, and
will illustrate these using specific case studies that relate to a range
of recent projects I have been involved in: predicting river discharge
from measurements of river levels, quantifying the impact of offshore
wind farms upon seabird populations, quantifying the link between
over-grazing and conflicting management objectives, and estimating the
impact of environment upon the phenology of midge population peaks. I
will conclude the talk with a discussion of what I see as being the key
challenges for the future in developing and maintaining good
collaborative relationships between statisticians and scientists.

Kind regards,

Fulvia Pennoni

--
Fulvia Pennoni