[Forum SIS] Next DEC Statistics Seminar - May 25

Raffaella Piccarreta raffaella.piccarreta a unibocconi.it
Dom 21 Maggio 2017 21:14:20 CEST

Dear all, we are glad to announce the next statistics seminar, which concludes this 2017 spring's series.

DEC - Statistics Seminar

Thursday, May 25 th , 2017

Bocconi University

12:30 pm

Room 3-E4-SR03, Via Rontgen 1 - 3rd floor

Alessandro Arlotto ( Duke University)

Uniformly Bounded Regret in the Multi-Secretary Problem

Abstract

In the well-known secretary problem, n positive numbers are sequentially presented to a decision maker who decides when to stop and select the most recent number. The goal is to maximize the probability of choosing the largest of the n numbers. In the k-choice (multi-secretary) variant, the decision maker is allowed to select k numbers and the goal is to maximize the aggregate value of the chosen elements. Assuming that numbers are i.i.d and drawn from a known distribution of finite support, we prove that the best regret---the gap between the optimal online policy and the offline upper bound---where all n numbers are made visible at time 0---is uniformly bounded in the horizon length n and the budget k. Our proof is constructive: we develop an adaptive Budget-Ratio(BR) policy that achieves this performance. The policy selects or skips values depending on where the budget ratio---the residual budget divided by the remaining horizon---stands relative to multiple thresholds that are simply computed from the distribution. Being adaptive is crucial. We also prove that the minimal regret among non-adaptive policies grows like the square root of n: the difference is the value of adaptiveness. (Joint work with Itai Gurvich.)

Kind regards,

Raffaella Piccarreta and Isadora Antoniano

The DEC statistics seminars schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

ATTENTION:

If you are a guest and you do not have a Bocconi ID Card to access to the Bocconi Buildings, please confirm your participation by sending an email to simona.gagino a unibocconi.it
In addition, we suggest to print, fill out and send the attached form (to give your consent to personal data handling) via email to the same address. In this way, the check-in procedure at the entrance will be faster and easier.

Raffaella Piccarreta
Associate Professor - Statistics
DEC - Department of Decision Sciences,
Universita' L.Bocconi, via Guglielmo Röntgen 1 (3rd floor, room D1-09). 20136, Milano.
email: piccarreta a unibocconi.it
tel. +39-02-58365659 / fax +39-02-58365630

Web page (ENGLISH VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.eu/raffaellapiccarreta/
(ITALIAN VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.it/raffaellapiccarreta/
---
Dai il tuo 5x1000 alla Bocconi.
Aiuta gli studenti meritevoli a costruire il proprio futuro.
CF 80024610158.
www.unibocconi.it/5x1000

Please note that the above message is addressed only to individuals filing Italian income tax returns.
5x1000 is a percentage of Italian personal income tax that taxpayers can allocate to Universities, scientific research and non profit organizations.
---