[Forum SIS] LET'S TALK ABOUT DATA SCIENCE

Carlo Lauro clauro a unina.it
Mar 18 Apr 2017 15:54:41 CEST

Dear Paolo welcome to the  DS-sis Forum and thank you for raising two issues that allow me to precise my view.

1- It is not easy to have a satisfactory  classification of all DS tools in the proposed infographics. It represents just a draft that can be surely improved and completed  taking into account of the suggestions that came from the Forum.

I was undecided in positioning the machine learning among the indicative  list of  CS tools or at the intersection between CS and Knowledge Domain. Finally I preferred to call this intersection as Pattern Recognition as a research approach  lsimilarly to the one of Data Analysis crssing Statistics and Knowledge Domain

2- As regard your preference to speak about Data Sciences  rather than Data Science  I fully agree with your view that corresponds to what I stated in my preface to the monograph on Social Data Science published by Springer in 2016.

The role played by the Knowledge Domain in the Data Science  discovery process represent the major  issue to give sense to the research results  and actionate them.

As consequence of the large  variety of knowledge domains I believe that  is more appropriate to speak about Data Sciences.

Therefore Data Scientist are active in different areas:  Business Data Science, Social Data Science, Health Data Science, Environment Data Science and so on..

This imply that Data Scientist should not only be skilled in Computer Science and Statistics bur also in a Knowledge Domain.

In addition a suitable coding of the knowledge of a domain (in term logical rules; hierarchical rules, graphs,  metadata; or ontologies ....) could improve a knowledge discovery process by developing in perspective new statistical methods knowledge based.

⁣   Carlo Lauro
Università di Napoli Federico Ii
carlo.lauro at unina.it

Inviato da TypeApp ​