[Forum SIS] LET'S TALK ABOUT DATA SCIENCE

Paolo Giudici paolo.giudici a unipv.it
Mar 18 Apr 2017 08:53:35 CEST

Ciao Carlo, thank you very much for your contribution, on which I mostly
agree.
I have two remarks.

1. Where do "Machine Learning" fit into your picture? Perhaps along
"pattern recognition"? or "computational statistics"

2. I do not believe that ONE "data science" discipline exist but rather,
than many "DATA SCIENCES" disciplines do, depending on the underlying
domain knowledge.For example we may have "Social data science" "Economics
data science" "Financial data science" "Medical data science".  Within this
perspective, STATISTICS maintains its "existence" as the logic of
(learning) in data science, and COMPUTER SCIENCE the "operational" language
by which such logic is implemented.

Looking forward to the debate,
Paolo Giudici

Paolo Giudici
Professor of Statistics and Data Science
http://economia.unipv.it/pagp/pagine_personali/giudici/