[Forum SIS] DEC Seminar - March 19th

Raffaella Piccarreta raffaella.piccarreta a unibocconi.it
Ven 13 Mar 2015 11:22:01 CET

Dear all
we are happy to announce the next DEC-statistics seminar.
Regards, Raffaella Piccarreta

DEC - Statistics Seminar
Università Bocconi,
Room 3-E4-SR03
Via Rontgen 1 - 3rd floor
Time: 12:30pm

The DEC seminar schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

Thursday, March 19th

Natesh Pillai
(Harvard University)

"Some aspects of Bayesian inference in high dimensional problems"

Abstract

In this talk we explore some aspects of high dimensional Bayesian estimation. We outline a theory for constructing shrinkage priors in high dimensional problems. These prior distributions (constructed as an alternative to the spike and slab priors) are popular because the corresponding MCMC algorithms mix very quickly. However, nothing much is known about their statistical efficiency. We present some results in this direction and also give a new prior which is both statistically and computationally efficient. We will also discuss some open problems.

Raffaella Piccarreta
DEC - Department of Decision Sciences,
Universita' L.Bocconi, via Guglielmo Röntgen 1 (3rd floor, room D1-09). 20136, Milano.
email: piccarreta a unibocconi.it
tel. +39-02-58365659 / fax +39-02-58365630

Web page (ENGLISH VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.eu/raffaellapiccarreta/
(ITALIAN VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.it/raffaellapiccarreta/