[Forum SIS] DEI - Università di Catania: AVVISO DI SEMINARIO

antonio punzo antonio.punzo a unict.it
Gio 29 Gen 2015 16:25:27 CET

AVVISO DI SEMINARIO

Il Dipartimento di Economia e Impresa dell’Università di Catania ha
organizzato il seminario:

*LABOR PRODUCTIVITY GROWTH: DISENTANGLING TECHNOLOGY AND CAPITAL
ACCUMULATION*

*Prof. Michele BATTISTI*

*Dipartimento di Scienze Giuridiche, della Società e dello Sport *

*Università di Palermo*

Lunedì 2 Febbraio dalle ore 15:30

In Aula 14

Università di Catania

Palazzo delle Scienze, Corso Italia, 55, Catania

*Abstract*:

We adopt a counterfactual approach to decompose labor productivity growth
into growth of Technological Productivity (TEP), growth of the
capital-labor ratio and growth of Total Factor Productivity (TFP). We bring
the decomposition to the data using international country-sectoral
information spanning from the 1960s to the 2000s and a nonparametric
generalized kernel method, which enables us to estimate the production
function allowing for heterogeneity across all relevant dimensions:
countries, sectors and time. As well as documenting substantial
heterogeneity across countries and sectors, we find average TEP to account
for about 44% of labor productivity growth and TEP gaps with respect to the
US to remain almost unchanged, on average, despite an average 1% yearly
decrease in the labor productivity gap. The US displays the highest TEP
growth rate. We then perform standard convergence regressions finding
strong evidence of technological convergence and showing that the effect of
a few variables only, among those found significant to explain labor
productivity convergence, occurs through the technology channel.

I colleghi interessati sono cordialmente invitati a partecipare.

Antonio Punzo