[Forum SIS] Seminario 14 marzo Dott. Zanella

Dip. Scienze Statistiche - Mi dip.scienzestatistiche a unicatt.it
Mer 5 Mar 2014 16:33:10 CET

Il Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche dell'Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore ha organizzato un seminario, presentato dal Dott. Giacomo ZANELLA, dell'Università di Warwick, dal titolo:

Bayesian complementary clustering, MCMC for data association and Anglo-Saxon placenames

Venerdì 14 Marzo dalle ore 11,30

in Aula G 253

Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore - Milano

Largo Gemelli,1 - Edificio Lanzone 18

Abstract:
Common cluster models for multi-type point processes look for unusual aggregations (clusters) of points of the same type. Motivated by the study of Anglo-Saxon settlements locations, where administrative clusters involving a variety of complementary names tend to appear, we develop a Bayesian Random Partition Model that looks for clusters formed by points of different types.
We obtain a multimodal, intractable posterior distribution on the space of matchings contained in a k-partite hypergraph. We develop an efficient Metropolis-Hastings algorithm to sample from such posterior distribution. We consider the problem of choosing an optimal proposal distribution in such framework. Simulated Tempering and multiple proposal techniques are used.
This allows us to study the Anglo-Saxon placenames locations dataset. Without strong prior knowledge required the model allows for explicit estimation of the number of clusters, the average intra-cluster dispersion, the ratio of noise points and the distribution of clusters sizes. First results seems to support the hypothesis of the settlements being organized into administrative clusters.

Segreteria Organizzativa:
Sig.ra Barbara Villa
Dipartimento di Scienze statistiche
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Largo Gemelli, 1
Edificio Via Lanzone, 18
20123 Milano
Tel. 02/72342647
Fax 02/72343064
http://dipartimenti.unicatt.it/scienze_statistiche

 Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to