[Forum SIS] Avviso di Seminario

Domenico Marinucci marinucc a axp.mat.uniroma2.it
Mar 6 Nov 2012 08:57:19 CET

Ciclo di Seminari - Progetto ERC PASCAL (Probabilistic and Statistical
Techniques for Cosmological Applications)

Giovedì 8 Novembre ore 16
Aula Dal Passo
Dipartimento di Matematica
Università di Roma Tor Vergata

Speaker:
Igor Wigman
King's College London

Title:
The distribution of defect and other nonlinear functionals of random
spherical harmonics.

Abstract:
This work is joint with Domenico Marinucci.
Partially motivated by questions in mathematical physics and cosmology, we
study the distribution of "defect" (or "signed measure") of high degree
random spherical harmonics. We were able to determine the asymptotic shape
of the defect variance precisely, and moreover prove a version of Central
Limit Theorem for its distribution; our techniques yield similar results for
other functionals, provided they satisfy some generic condition.
Our proofs combine asymptotic analysis of the Legendre polynomials, together
with a recently developed inequality of Nourdin-Peccati, based on the
Malliavin Calculus.
In this talk I plan to introduce the subject and discuss, at least briefly,
the proofs of the main results.

Tutti gli interessati sono cordialmente invitati a partecipare.

Domenico Marinucci
http://www.mat.uniroma2.it/~marinucc/