[Forum SIS] Seminar: Omar El-Dakkak on Thursday 11JUNE2009 at 4:30pm (DEC Bocconi)

Marco Bonetti marco.bonetti a unibocconi.it
Lun 8 Giu 2009 17:53:05 CEST

                                                      ANNOUNCEMENT

On THURSDAY, June 11th 2009 at 4:30pm in Room C
(Via Sarfatti 25, Milan) of Bocconi University

                                             Omar El-Dakkak
            Laboratoire de Statistique Théorique et Appliquée
                    Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI)

will hold the seminar:

"Hoeffding decompositions and urn sequences"

Abstract:

Let X[1,∞) = {Xn : n ≥ 1} be a sequence of random variables. We say
that
the sequence is Hoeffding-decomposable if, for all n ≥ 2; any
symmetric statistic
T (X1, ..., Xn) admits a unique representation as a sum of (n + 1)
uncorrelated
U-Statistics with completely degenerated kernels of increasing orders.
Introduced for the first time in a seminal paper by W. Hoeffding in
1948,
the so called Hoeffding decompositions grew to become one of the
fundamental
techniques for proving asymptotic distributional results. This has
definitely been the case for i.i.d. sequences; as for dependent
sequences, only
extractions without replacement from finite populations (see Bloznelis
and
Götze [2001, 2002]) had been investigated before the theory was
generalized
to general exchangeable sequences in Peccati [2004]. In fact, in that
reference
a characterization of Hoeffding-decomposable sequences in terms of a
technical condition the author named weak independence is obtained. In
El-Dakkak and Peccati [2008], we seek a more transparent
characterization
of Hoeffding decomposable exchangeable sequences and focus on sequences
taking values in a finite set D. In the case in which D = {0, 1}, we
show that
the only Hoeffding decomposable exchangeable sequences are i.i.d.
sequences
and two-colour Pólya sequences. When D is an arbitrary finitie set, we
ob-
tain a partial generalization of the two-colour case. The full
generalization is
obtained in El-Dakkak, Peccati and Prünster [2009]: more precisely, we
show
that multicolour Pólya sequences are the only D-valued purely
exchangeable
sequences that are Hoeffding decomposable.

You are warmly invited to participate.

Sincerely,

Marco Bonetti

---
Marco Bonetti
Department of Decision Sciences
Bocconi University
Via Guglielmo Roentgen 1
20136 Milan, Italy
Tel +39 02 58365670
Fax +39 02 58365634

---
Il messaggio che segue e' inserito automaticamente dal server di posta
dell'Universita' Bocconi.

Il 5 per mille per gli studenti meritevoli della Bocconi.
E' un atto volontario, non costa nulla e non sostituisce l'8 per mille.
Scegli Bocconi: codice fiscale 80024610158.

Please note that the above message is addressed only to individuals
filing Italian income tax returns.
---