Seminari di Statistica a Pavia

UNIVERSITA' DEGLI STUDI DI PAVIA
DIPARTIMENTO DI ECONOMIA POLITICA E METODI QUANTITATIVI
DIPARTIMENTO DI MATEMATICA "F.CASORATI"
DOTTORATO DI RICERCA IN MATEMATICA E STATISTICA

			AVVISO DI SEMINARI

Giovedi' 3 giugno nell'aula del Consiglio di Facolta', Dipartimento di
Economia Politica e Metodi Quantitativi (via San Felice 5, Pavia) si
terranno i seguenti seminari.

Ore 16: 	FRANCESCO BILLARI  (UNIVERSITA' "L. BOCCONI", MILANO)

	EDUCATIONAL CAREERS AND THE TRANSITION TO MOTHERHOOD:
      A SIMULTANEOUS-HAZARD COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THEIR INTERRELATIONS *

Abstract:
We study the interrelationship between the educational trajectories of
women and the transition to motherhood, disentangling the mutual influence
(i.e. the impact of events in one trajectory on events in the other
trajectory) from common factors simultaneously affecting both trajectories
(i.e. aspirations and orientations). We argue that both institutional and
cultural factors at the macro level matter in shaping this
interrelationship. In order shed light on the empirical relevance of such
macro-level factors, we adopt an international comparative approach. We
apply simultaneous hazard models to individual-level data from Fertility
and Family Surveys (FFS) on 11 Western European countries. We hypothesize
that, within Western Europe, welfare regimes and long-standing cultural
differences shape the interrelations differently in different countries. In
our empirical analyses, we indeed find important international differences
both in the mutual influence and in the importance of common factors for
both processes.

* Joint work with Dimiter Philipov

Ore 16.45:	STEFANO SAMPIETRO (UNIVERSITA' "C. CATTANEO", CASTELLANZA)

	BAYESIAN ANALYSIS FOR MIXTURE OF AUTOREGRESSIVE COMPONENTS
		WITH APPLICATION TO FINANCIAL MARKET VOLATILITY

Abstract:
In this paper, we present a Bayesian analysis of a non-linear time series
model. Specifically, we consider a finite mixture of normal distributions
and we relax the usual assumption of conditionally independent observable
variables. Parameter estimation and model selection are performed trough
Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) methods. Our analysis takes into account
the stationarity conditions on the model parameters. Finally, an
application to return volatility of financial markets will be illustrated.

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

--
Igor Pruenster
Dip. Economia Politica e Metodi Quantitativi

NOTA:
Le norme per utilizzare il forum SIS e le istruzioni per iscrizione
e cancellazione sono disponibili all'indirizzo
.
.   http://w3.uniroma1.it/sis/forum.asp
.
L'archivio di tutti i messaggi (aggiornato al giorno precedente)
e' disponibile all'indirizzo
.
.   http://www.stat.unipg.it/cgi-bin/wilma/sis/
.