statistica e genetica: Abstract

Secondo avviso di seminario + Abstract.

Titolo: Gene Expression Data: methods and software.
Sottotitolo: Microarray studies: Can they be reproduced? Can they be
combined?
Relatore: Giovanni Parmigiani, Johns Hopkins University

Abstract.
Investigations of transcript levels on a genomic scale using
hybridization-based arrays led to formidable advances in our
understanding of the biology of many human illnesses. At the same time,
these investigations have generated controversy, because of the
probabilistic nature of the conclusions, and the surfacing of
noticeable discrepancies between the results of studies addressing the
same biological question.  In this lecture I will present simple
exploratory data analysis tools for gauging the degree to which the
finding of one study are reproduced by others, and for integrating
multiple studies in a single analysis.  I will describe these
approaches in the context of studies of both lung and breast cancer.
The main conclusion of our work to date is that it is possible to
identify a substantial, biologically relevant, subset of the human
genome within which hybridization results are reproducible. The subset
generally varies with the platform used, the tissues studied, and the
populations being sampled. Despite important differences, it is also
possible to develop simple expression measures that allow comparison
across platforms, studies, labs and populations. While these are not
perfect, important biological signal is often preserved or enhanced.
Cross-study validation and combination of microarray results requires
careful, but not overly complex, statistical thinking, and can become a
routine component of genomic analysis.

Seguirà Tavola Rotonda su "Statistica e Genetica".
Lunedì 5 Aprile, ore 16:00, Aula Leonardo.
Università Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milano.
www.unihsr.it
come raggiungerci: http://www.unihsr.it/utili/mostra.asp?s1=utili&s2=vita