seminario

Istituto Metodi Quantitativi - Università L. Bocconi
Viale Isonzo, 25 - 20135 Milano
Tel. 02-58365629  - Fax 02-58365630

SEMINARIO

The persistence of poverty: true state dependence or unobserved
heterogeneity? Some evidence from the Italian Survey on Household Income
and Wealth

Prof. Enrico Rettore
Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche
Università di Padova

mercoledì, 30 aprile 2003 - ore 16.30
Aula IMQ  stanza n.137

________________________________________________________________________________Abstract.
Evidence from several countries is that any household experiencing poverty
today is much more likely to experience it again, which may be due to both
true state dependence (TSD) and unobserved heterogeneity (UH). In this
context, there are two sources of UH: (i) the household’s ability to obtain
income in a specific time period and (ii) the way in which this ability
evolves from that time period onwards. We tested for TSD using a panel from
Italy. After testing for the ignorability of the massive attrition plaguing
the panel and accepting it, we did not find any sign of TSD. The paper is
joint work with Anna Giraldo and Ugo Trivellato

Poverty dynamics.
JEL-code: I32, C23, C25