JOB: Applied statisticians, Norway

Please reply to the address below, and not to me. Note the deadline for
applications is 22nd March.

The Norwegian Computing Centre (NR) is seeking to appoint one or two
highly motivated statisticians to strengthen the department for
Statistical Analysis, Pattern Recognition and Image analysis (SAMBA). NR
is Norway’s leading applied statistical research institute, and is
ambitious to develop further international activities. SAMBA currently
employs 32 research scientists, and due to an increase in project work
in statistical modelling and analysis, we are looking for more strong
statisticians who wish to move to Oslo, Norway.

The people appointed will be expected to carry out and co-ordinate
research contributing to the growth of our group. She/He should have
- very solid theoretical and practical knowledge, at least to PhD level;

- a genuine interest in solving real life problems;
- interest and experience in at least one of the following applied
fields: banking, insurance, energy, biology, marine resources and the
environment;
- programming competence  (preferably C/C++ or S-Plus).

The SAMBA department is broad-based, with research strengths spanning
many areas of applied and methodological statistics. Contract research
constitutes approx. 70 % of our budget, with a wide variety of
interesting and challenging projects. We have a significant portfolio of
research grants and are currently applying for major funding within
various thematic areas of statistics. NR employs people from around 20
nationalities, working in a unique professional environment
strategically positioned between academia and business.  We offer
attractive salaries, insurance and pension plans for all employees,
health care and nursery school provision. For more information, please
contact Research Director André Teigland (andre.teigland@nr.no) or
Assistant Research Director Kjersti Aas (kjersti@nr.no), or see our web
site http://www.nr.no.

Please send a written application with full CV, list of publications,
certificates and references to the personnel office by the 22nd March
2002. The application should be marked "Statistician". You may also
apply via e-mail with certificates and references in pdf-format. If so,
please mail the application to Human Resources (human.resources@nr.no).

--
Arnoldo Frigessi                  tel. +47 22 852654
Norwegian Computing Center        fax. +47 22 697660