seminario

Istituto Metodi Quantitativi - Università L. Bocconi
Viale Isonzo, 25 - 20135 Milano
Tel. 02-58365629  - Fax 02-58365630

SEMINARIO

The normative significance of using inverse
stochastic dominance in inequality, welfare and poverty comparisons

Claudio Zoli
School of Economics, Univ. of Nottingham

giovedì, 17 maggio 2001 - ore 16.00
aula IMQ - stanza 137
Abstract:
We investigate the relationship between dominance conditions associated to
non-additive linear rank-dependent indices and the criterion of inverse
stochastic dominance. The results obtained are dual to those relating
dominance for classes of additive indices to the standard stochastic
dominance criteria. Results are provided both for different degrees of
inverse stochastic dominance evaluated over homogeneous populations, and
for comparisons involving heterogeneous populations. The restrictions on
the rank-dependent indices associated to the various inverse stochastic
dominance conditions considered are characterised in terms of effectiveness
of income transfers between and within groups of homogenous individuals.
Results are applied both to inequality, welfare and poverty analysis.
  More precisely:
A)We investigate the relationship between the third degree inverse
stochastic dominance criterion introduced in Muliere and Scarsini (JET
1989) and inequality dominance when Lorenz curves intersect. We propose a
new definition of transfer sensitivity aimed at strengthening the
Pigou-Dalton Principle of Transfers. Our definition is dual to that
suggested by Shorrocks and Foster (RES 1987). It involves a regressive
transfer and a progressive transfer both from the same donor, leaving the
Gini index unchanged. Finite sequences of these transfers and/or
progressive transfers characterize the third degree inverse stochastic
dominance criterion. This criterion allows us to make unanimous inequality
judgements even when Lorenz curves intersect. The Gini coefficient becomes
relevant in these cases in order to conclusively rank the distributions
.B) We provide characterizations of sequential stochastic
dominance  conditions which are dual to those introduced in Atkinson and
Bourguignon (1987). Instead of evaluating social welfare according to the
utilitarian approach, we apply the rank-dependent dual approach to the
measurement of welfare and inequality suggested in Weymark (MaSS 1981) and
Yaari (Econometrica 1987, JET 1988). Different interpretations of the results,
in terms of either welfare comparisons of populations decomposed into
needs-based subgroups, or intertemporal income comparisons are
suggested.The dual SWF is shown to be consistent with a class of
satisfaction and    deprivation indices. The sequential dominance criteria
based on this class of indices is introduced, they require comparisons
involving generalized satisfaction curves and deprivation curves of the
reference groups in the population. The connections with dominance criteria
associated to rank-dependent poverty indices and the sequential dominance
results
introduced is investigated. A poverty dominance condition for
rank-dependent comparisons over heterogenous populations is suggested, it
involves combinations of the poverty-gap curves of the different groups
of  individuals.