AVVISO DI SEMINARI

       Forum per la Societa' Italiana di Statistica

                       AVVERTENZA

     il nuovo servizio viene offerto in via sperimentale
     dal Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche di Perugia
           con il software Majordomo 1.94.5
       istallato su una Workstation UNIX (AIX 4.3.3)

           Ci scusiamo per eventuali disguidi !

                 DIPARTIMENTO DI SCIENZE STATISTICHE
		   Via S. Francesco, 33 - 35121 Padova
			tel. 0498274168

IL Prof. Yakov Nikitin
St. Petersburg State University

terrą i seguenti seminari:

EXTREMAL PROBLEMS RELATED
TO GAUSSIAN AND EMPIRICAL FIELDS

ore 10.00
Aula SF40

Summary

Some important problems of Probability and Statistics can be reduced to the
minimization of functionals on the unit ball of some Sobolev space. Among
such
problems are the large deviation asymptotics and the Strassen functional
law for
functionals of Gaussian fields as well as the conditions of asymptotic
optimality
of nonparametric tests. We develop a general approach to the extremal problem
described above with the special emphasis on anisotropic norms in the L_p
space of
functions on the unit square.

MAESONO TEST AS A GENERALIZATION
OF WILCOXON TEST AND ITS EFFICIENCY

ore 11.00
Aula SF40

Summary

Maesono statistics T_r, r>1, proposed in 1987, are natural generalizations of
Wilcoxon statistic W=T_2 and also belong to the  class of U-statistics. We
calculate Bahadur efficiency of the corresponding tests of symmetry and
discriminate between T_2 and T_3 (this is an unsolved problem proposed by
Maesono). The description of local optimality conditions for these tests is
given.

APPROXIMATE BAHADUR EFFICIENCY
 OF INDEPENDENCE TESTS
WITH RANDOM SAMPLE SIZE

ore 10.00
Aula SF40

Summary

We compare various kinds of independence tests based on samples with random
size,
in order to provide practitioners with some guidance for their choice based
on
approximate Bahadur efficiency. Such results are obtained for a wide class of
distributions of the random index; the efficiency slopes of the statistics we
consider are then expressed in terms of the parameters of these same
distributions.

Cordiali saluti,
Carlo Gaetan
Carlo GAETAN                               e-mail:gaetan@stat.unipd.it
Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche        phone : ++39-049-827-41-68
Via S. Francesco, 33                               ++39-049-827-41-80  (desk)
I-35121 PADOVA                             fax   : ++39-049-87-53-930
   ITALY