CICLO DI LEZIONI

       Forum per la Societa' Italiana di Statistica

                       AVVERTENZA

     il nuovo servizio viene offerto in via sperimentale
     dal Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche di Perugia
           con il software Majordomo 1.94.5
       istallato su una Workstation UNIX (AIX 4.3.3)

           Ci scusiamo per eventuali disguidi !

                 DIPARTIMENTO DI SCIENZE STATISTICHE
		   Via S. Francesco, 33 - 35121 Padova
			tel. 0498274168

Si avvisano gli interessati che il

Prof. Nils Lid Hjort
UNIVERSITY OF OSLO

terrà le seguenti lezioni per il
Dottorato di Ricerca in Statistica:

		STATISTICAL SMOOTHING
(with applications to nonparametric density estimation	and nonparametric
regression)

2 Ottobre 2000	   3 Ottobre 2000
ore 14.00-16.00	   ore 14.00-16.00
Aula SF40	           Aula B3, Ca’ Borin

4 Ottobre 2000	   5 Ottobre 2000
ore 14.00-16.00	   ore 14.00-16.00
Aula CUCCONI        Aula B3, Ca’ Borin

re 14.00-16.00
Aula B2, Ca’ Borin

PROGRAMMA:

This course will focus on two major problems in nonparametric
statistics, those of density estimation and of nonparametric
regression. In the first problem the task is to estimate
the density function $f$ underlying observed data $X_1,\ldots,X_n$,
without any parametric modelling assumptions. The second problem
deals with regression data $(x_1,y_1),\ldots,(x_n,y_n)$,
where the mean function $m(x)=E(Y|x)$ is to be estimated,
again without making assumptions a priori about the specific
form of this curve.

These problems are of intrinsic importance in statistics,
from both a theoretical and an applied point of view.
The inevitable balancing of `bias versus variance' is particularly
prominent in these situations. Knowledge and understanding
of these issues are also quite valuable in the treatment
of many other, seemingly unrelated, statistical problems.
I will indicate some problems of this sort. I will also point to
practical uses of statistical smoothing, notably prediction
and classification analysis.

Some key words and phrases are as follows:
* nonparametric smoothing
* density estimation
* regression curves and surfaces
* classification analysis
* bias versus variance trade-off
* kernel methods
* expansion methods
* Bayesian nonparametric modelling of curves
* bandwidth selection
* cross validation
* consistency

Per il coordinatore del dottorato (prof. Guido Masarotto)

Carlo Gaetan
Carlo GAETAN                               e-mail:gaetan@stat.unipd.it
Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche        phone : ++39-049-827-41-68
Via S. Francesco, 33                               ++39-049-827-41-80  (desk)
I-35121 PADOVA                             fax   : ++39-049-87-53-930
   ITALY