[Forum SIS] Stats seminar: "Spatial modeling of epidermal nerve fiber patterns", Konstantinos Konstantinou, 12 October

Umberto Picchini umberto.picchini a gmail.com
Sab 9 Ott 2021 09:55:21 CEST

You are welcome to the next Statistics seminar at Dept of Mathematical
Sciences at Chalmers and Göteborg University.

We are very glad to have, on Tuesday 12  October,​Konstantinos
Konstantinou (Chalmers/GU) who will talk of his recent paper appearing
on /Statistics in Medicine/, and further work:

/"Spatial modeling of epidermal nerve fiber patterns"/
*//*

*​Abstract *

Peripheral neuropathy is a condition associated with poor nerve
functionality. Epidermal nerve fiber (ENF) counts per epidermal surface
are dramatically reduced and the two dimensional spatial structure of
ENFs tends to become more clustered as neuropathy progresses. Therefore,
studying the spatial structure of ENFs is essential to fully understand
the mechanisms that guide those morphological changes. In this paper, we
compare ENF patterns of healthy controls and subjects suffering from
mild diabetic neuropathy by using suction skin blister specimens
obtained from the right foot. Previous analysis of these data has
focused on the analysis and modelling of the spatial ENF patterns
consisting of the points where the nerves enter the epidermis, base
points, and the points where the nerve fibers terminate, end points,
projected on a two dimensional plane, regarding the patterns as
realisations of spatial point processes. Here, we include the first
branching points, the points where the nerve trees branch for the first
time, and model the three dimensional patterns consisting of these three
types of points. To analyze the patterns, spatial summary statistics are
used and a new epidermal active territory (EAT) that measures the volume
in the epidermis that is covered by the individual nerve fibers is
constructed. We developed a model for both the two dimensional and the
three dimensional patterns including the  branching points. Also,
possible competitive behavior between individual nerves is examined. Our
results indicate that changes in the ENFs spatial structure can more
easily be detected in the later parts of the ENFs.

See Konstantinou, K., & Särkkä, A. (2021). Spatial modeling of epidermal
nerve fiber patterns. /Statistics in Medicine
https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.9194/*
*
*
*Feel free to spread this announcement in your network.*
*
*
*Where*: *room PASCAL and zoom* (physical attendance in Pascal is very
welcome)
https://chalmers.zoom.us/j/63763813811
Password: 682429

**
*When*: Tuesday 12 October at 14.15-15.15 CEST

**

*About the speaker*
Johan Larsson****

​Konstantinos Konstantinou is PhD student at the Dept. Mathematical
Sciences, University of Göteborg and Chalmers University of Technology.
His main research area is spatial statistics. In particular, his
research is focused on developing spatial and spatio-temporal models for
complicated clustered point patterns**

*
*

*

Umberto Picchini, Associate Professor, PhD, Docent
https://umbertopicchini.github.io/  , twitter: @uPicchini