[Forum SIS] seminar: "Scalable Bayesian inference for dynamic state-space mixed-effects models", Sebastian Persson, 30 November @14:00

Umberto Picchini umberto.picchini a gmail.com
Sab 27 Nov 2021 09:11:20 CET

You are welcome to the next Statistics seminar at Dept of Mathematical
Sciences at Chalmers and Göteborg University.

We are very glad to have, on Tuesday 30 November,Sebastian Persson
(Chalmers and University of Göteborg) who will talk of:

/"//Scalable Bayesian inference for dynamic state-space mixed-effects
models//"/

*S. PerssonAbout the speaker: *Sebastian Persson
<https://www.chalmers.se/en/staff/Pages/sebpe.aspx>'s research is about
using mathematical modelling for understanding different cellular
processes that are connected to ageing in yeast. For example, using
reaction-diffusion models to study cell polarization, or ODE- and
SDE-modelling and nonlinear mixed-effects modelling to study signaling
pathways that are connected to glucose sensing.

*Abstract:* Parameter inference is an important step when constructing a
dynamic model in many fields ranging from biology, medicine (PK/PD) to
finance. In many scenarios, such as when modelling biological
single-cell behaviour, we are interested in inference for an entire
population by simultaneously fitting observations from multiple
individuals. However, inference from multi-individual longitudal data is
often non-trivial due to the presence of intrinsic and extrinsic sources
of variability. To address this, we consider inference for the
challenging case when the dynamics for a state-space mixed-effects model
(SSMEM) are driven by stochastic processes such as a Markov-jump process
or a stochastic differential equation. We present an efficient
Gibbs-sampler for fully Bayesian inference for SSMEMs, which compared to
previous samplers can be more than 30 times faster for many (>100)
individuals. The individual parameters in the Gibbs-sampler, which have
an intractable likelihood, are efficiently sampled via
correlated-particle pseudo-marginal Metropolis-Hastings' steps. The
population parameters of the random effects, which have a tractable
likelihood, are updated using a HMC sampler to allow for a realistic
parameterization of the individual parameters.

The performance of our Gibbs sampler is investigated on challenging
simulated datasets (e.g., a stochastic bi-stable model) and on a
real-life dataset. Furthermore, we investigate the performance of
different adaptive MCMC algorithms for the pseudo-marginal steps.
*
*
*
*
*Feel free to spread this announcement in your network.*
*
*
*Where*: room MVL15 or https://chalmers.zoom.us/j/64449172943
  Password: 770823
**

****
*When*: Tuesday 30 November at 14.00-15.00 (Swedish time).
**
**

Umberto Picchini, Associate Professor, PhD, Docent
https://umbertopicchini.github.io/  , twitter: @uPicchini