[Forum SIS] Seminario John Aston - 25 Maggio ore 14:00

Ilaria Prosdocimi prosdocimi.ilaria a gmail.com
Gio 20 Maggio 2021 11:36:25 CEST

Cari colleghi e colleghe,

Con grande piacere, vi segnalo il prossimo seminario del gruppo Statistica
al DAIS, Ca' Foscari (tutti i futuri seminari sono elencati alla pagina del
gruppo https://www.unive.it/pag/16818):

Data: 25 Maggio, ore 14:00-15:00
Relatore: John Aston, University of Cambridge
Titolo: Functional Data in Constrained Spaces

Il seminario si potrà seguire tramite la piattaforma Zoom:
https://unive.zoom.us/j/82776377762
Meeting ID: 827 7637 7762 - Passcode: SanMarco1

Abstract:
Functional Data Analysis is concerned with the statistical analysis of data
which are curves or surfaces. There has been considerable progress made in
this area over the last 20-30 years, but most of this work has been focused
on 1-dimensional curves living in a standard space such as the space of
square integrable functions. However, many real data applications, such as
those from linguistics and neuroimaging, imply considerable constraints on
data which is not a simple curve. In this talk, we will look at several
different types of constrained functional data. We will examine the role of
positive definiteness in linguistics and show that this can be used to
study ancient languages. We will also look at 2-d manifolds embedded in
3-dimensions, such as the cortical surface of the brain. We’ll see that
some current applications, such as functional connectivity, require both
properties simultaneously and we’ll suggest methods for understanding the
data in such cases.

Cordiali saluti

Ilaria Prosdocimi

----
Ilaria Prosdocimi
Assistant Professor in Statistics
Ca' Foscari University of Venice
Department of Environmental Sciences, Informatics and Statistic
prosdocimi.ilaria a gmail.com
ilaria.prosdocimi a unive.it