[Forum SIS] University of Manchester Social Statistics Seminar - Tuesday, 2 February, 4pm GMT

Monica Pratesi monica.pratesi a unipi.it
Lun 18 Gen 2021 14:07:03 CET

Cari Colleghi, ....please pass on to your lists….

-----------------------------------

Social Statistics Seminars 2020/21 – February Session

*Assessing Questionnaire Changes when Experiments are Not Possible:
Application to the U.S. Consumer Expenditure Survey
*_Stephanie Eckman (RTI International)_**

Join us at 4pm (GMT) on 2 February 2021!

Registration link: http://bit.ly/socstat0221 <http://bit.ly/socstat0221>

Please register using your full name and your email address.

*Abstract*

Many large-scale government surveys do not have the budget or time to
conduct experiments to assess the effects of questionnaire changes.
Rather than conducting an experiment, this paper proposes the use of a
parallel web survey and multiple imputation to estimate the impact of
changes to a questionnaire. The approach is applied to the U. S.
Consumer Expenditure Interview Survey, which informs the calculation of
the official measure of inflation, among other uses. Results suggest
that revising the questionnaire could increase the report of household
purchases by approximately five percentage points in the sections
tested. The approach used here, involving a web survey built to mimic
the expenditure survey, could be applied in other large surveys where
budget or logistical constraints prevent experimentation.

*About the speaker*

Dr Eckman conducts research into data quality and the social
construction of data. Her main areas of interest are using passive data
to supplement or replace survey data; the shortcuts respondents take to
reduce the length of surveys; and innovative sample designs.

We provide two options for getting regular updates about our seminars:

1) visit the Events webpage of our department
<https://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/social-statistics/connect/events/>,
where we will post abstracts and registration links before the talks,

2) sign up to our JiscMail announcement list
<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=SOCIALSTATS-SEMINARS&A=1>
to receive all information in your mailbox.

For any queries regarding the events, please contact András Vörös
(andras.voros a manchester.ac.uk <mailto:andras.voros a manchester.ac.uk>).