[Forum SIS] Webinar in Statistics MATTHIAS LOFFLER

Pierpaolo De Blasi pierpaolo.deblasi a unito.it
Ven 23 Apr 2021 09:48:35 CEST

WEBINARS IN STATISTICS @ COLLEGIO CARLO ALBERTO
<https://www.carloalberto.org/events/category/seminars/seminars-in-statistics/?tribe-bar-date=2019-09-01>

Venerdi 30 Aprile 2021, alle ore 12.00, si terrā il seguente webinar:

Speaker: *Matthias Loffler *(ETH Zurich)

Title: *Optimality of Spectral Clustering in the Gaussian Mixture Model*

Zoom link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81943504316?pwd=anlwTXpXSkU4R1ZsMjMxVEo5NHcwQT09

Meeting ID: 819 4350 4316

Passcode: 355115

Abstract:
Spectral clustering is one of the most popular algorithms to group high
dimensional data. It is easy to implement and computationally efficient.
Despite its popularity and successful applications, its theoretical
properties have not been fully understood. We show that spectral clustering
is minimax optimal in the Gaussian Mixture Model with isotropic covariance
matrix, when the number of clusters is fixed and the signal-to-noise ratio
is large enough. Spectral gap conditions are widely assumed in the
literature to analyze spectral clustering. On the contrary, we show that
these conditions are not needed.

Il webinar č organizzato dalla "de Castro" Statistics Initiative

www.carloalberto.org/stats

Cordiali saluti,

Pierpaolo De Blasi

---

University of Torino & Collegio Carlo Alberto

carloalberto.org/pdeblasi
<https://sites.google.com/a/carloalberto.org/pdeblasi/>