[Forum SIS] : UNIVERSITY OF MANCHESTER SOCIAL STATISTICS SEMINARS 2020/21

Monica Pratesi monica.pratesi a unipi.it
Lun 23 Nov 2020 19:10:42 CET

The Department of Social Statistics at the University of Manchester is
pleased to invite everyone interested in quantitative social research to
a series of online seminars. The events will be held once a month
throughout the academic year, always at 4pm (UK time) on Tuesdays.

  The next Social Statistics Seminar series at the University of
Manchester will be held on Tuesday, December 1st on Zoom at 4pm (GMT).
  Please see the details below.

  Title:  Dual and multiple system estimation with partially and
imperfectly observed covariates

  Paul A. Smith, University of Southampton

Joint work with Peter van der Heijden and Maarten Cruyff

Join us on Zoom!

Topic: Social Statistics Seminars 2020/21

Time: December 1, 2020 04:00 PM

https://zoom.us/j/92429253808 <https://zoom.us/j/92429253808>

Meeting ID: 924 2925 3808

Abstract:

Dual (and multiple) system estimation, also known as capture-recapture,
has become widely used in official statistics for estimating the size of
partly observed populations, with applications from population censuses
to linked administrative data. There are situations in which sources can
be linked, allowing estimation through a loglinear modelling procedure,
but where some variables appear in only one source. This additional
missingness can be handled using the EM algorithm, and we illustrate its
application. Sometimes the data to be linked contain what should be the
same variable, but measured in different ways, and we can use the same
approach to analyse and adjust the data to the preferred measure. In
more complex situations with many inputs it is possible to produce a
consistent estimate from the disparate definitions, and we illustrate
this with recent work on estimating the size of the Māori population in
New Zealand.

We provide two options for getting regular updates about our seminars:

1) visit the Events webpage of our department
<https://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/social-statistics/connect/events/>,
where we will post abstracts and Zoom links before the talks,

2) sign up to our JiscMail announcement list
<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=SOCIALSTATS-SEMINARS&A=1>
to receive all information in your mailbox.

For any queries regarding the events, please contact András Vörös
(andras.voros a manchester.ac.uk <mailto:andras.voros a manchester.ac.uk>).

Monica Pratesi
Full Professor of Statistics
holder of the Jean Monnet Chair
Small Area methods for Multidimensional Poverty and living conditions
SAMPIEU - http://sampieuchair.ec.unipi.it
https://people.unipi.it/monica_pratesi

Department of Economics and Management
University of Pisa