[Forum SIS] Webinar of Andrés Felipe Barrientos @ Unimib

Bernardo Nipoti bernardo.nipoti a gmail.com
Gio 19 Nov 2020 08:24:00 CET

Dear all,

We are glad to announce the next DEMS Statistics Webinar, organized by the
Department of Economics, Management and Statistics (DEMS) of the University
of Milano - Bicocca.

Speaker: *Andrés Felipe Barrientos*, Florida State University, United States

Wednesday, 25th November 2020, time 17.00 (CET).

Event address for attendees:
https://unimib.webex.com/unimib/onstage/g.php?MTID=eb1ea0a35d727830b9fc659b7dcdd01e6

Title:

A Bayesian decision-theoretic approach to uncertain ranks and orderings:
Ranking players and lineups.

Abstract:

It is common to be interested in rankings or order relationships among
entities. In complex settings where one does not directly measure a
univariate statistic upon which to base ranks, such inferences typically
rely on statistical models having entity-specific parameters. These can be
treated as random effects in hierarchical models characterizing variation
among the entities.  In this paper, we are particularly interested in the
problem of ranking basketball players in terms of their contribution to
team performance. Using data from the United States National Basketball
Association (NBA), we find that many players have similar latent ability
levels, making any single estimated ranking highly misleading.  The current
literature fails to provide summaries of order relationships that
adequately account for uncertainty.  Motivated by this, we propose a
Bayesian strategy for characterizing uncertainty in inferences on order
relationships among players and lineups. Our approach adapts to scenarios
in which uncertainty in ordering is high by producing more conservative
results that improve interpretability. This is achieved through a reward
function within a decision theory framework. We apply our approach to data
from the 2009-10 NBA season.

*More details to attend the webinar.*

Event number (access code): 174 037 4579
Event password: aRtYMuUb527 (27896882 from phones)
Event address for attendees:
https://unimib.webex.com/unimib/onstage/g.php?MTID=eb1ea0a35d727830b9fc659b7dcdd01e6

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 1:00 pm, Europe Time (Rome, GMT+01:00)

The webinar is part of the series of *DEMS Statistics Webinars* organized
by the Department of Economics, Management and Statistics (DEMS) of the
University of Milano - Bicocca. More details can be found here
<https://dems.unimib.it/it/argomento-eventi/seminars/dems-seminars>.