[Forum SIS] Seminario Andrea Saltelli - Università di Bergamo

Annamaria Bianchi annamaria.bianchi a unibg.it
Mer 15 Gen 2020 19:27:31 CET

 Si avvisano tutti gli interessati del seminario:

 **********************************
*Martedì 28 Gennaio 2020 *
*Università di Bergamo,*
*via dei Caniana 2, Bergamo*
*Aula 15*
*Ore: 14:30 *
**********************************

*"**The indiscreet charm of composite indicators**"*

*Prof. Andrea Saltelli(University of Bergen and Open University of
Catalonia)*

*Abstract*:  We review some elements of history of composite indicators,
reasons for and against their use, and available theories for their
construction. We then touch on some common methodological conundrums, with
possible solutions based on the theory of sensitivity analysis. After
noting the strong normative dimension of these measures - which ultimately
aim to 'tell a story', e.g. to promote the social discovery of a particular
phenomenon, we inquire whether a less partisan use of a composite indicator
can be proposed by allowing more latitude in the framing of its
construction. We thus explore whether a composite indicator can be built to
tell 'more than one story' and test this in practical contexts.

*Reading material*:

Becker, W. et al. (2017) ‘Weights and Importance in Composite Indicators:
Mind the Gap’, in Roger Ghanem, David Higdon, H. O. (ed.) Handbook of
Uncertainty Quantification. Springer.
http://www.andreasaltelli.eu/file/repository/Full_Copy_CI_Handbook_2017.pdf

Kuc-Czarnecka, M., Lo Piano, S. and Saltelli, A. (2020) ‘Quantitative
storytelling in the making of a composite indicator’, Social Indicators
Research, accepted.
http://www.andreasaltelli.eu/file/repository/SIR_TEMP.pdf

Cordiali saluti,

Annamaria Bianchi