[Forum SIS] Seminar Bas Kleijn (Univ. Amsterdam) - Padova | January 17, 2020 | 12:30

Patrizia Piacentini - PhD piacent a stat.unipd.it
Gio 9 Gen 2020 10:06:59 CET

The Department of Statistical Sciences, University of Padova, invites
you to the Seminar:

TITLE
CONFIDENCE SETS IN SOME DISCRETE LEARNING PROBLEMS

SPEAKER
BAS KLEIJN
Korteweg-De Vries Institute for Mathematics, University of Amsterdam

WHEN
January 17, 2020 - 12.30 a.m.

WHERE
Room Benvenuti - Campus S. Caterina
Via C. Battisti, 241
Padova

ABSTRACT
Recent work on the convergence of posterior distributions enables
application in problems that are somewhat distant from the traditional
focal points in mathematical statistics. In this talk we briefly review
asymptotic posterior concentration, focussing on (enlarged) credible
sets that can serve as (asymptotic) confidence sets. We derive
asymptotic confidence sets in four discrete problems from machine
learning: community detection in sparse stochastic block models, the
Netflix Prize, trace reconstruction and the so-called “satisfiability
problem”. [Based partly on joint work with J. van Waaij]

*Apologies for cross posting*

--
Patrizia Piacentini
Secretariat