[Forum SIS] Seminari congiunti ASI - Dipartimento Matematica Tor Vergata

Alessia Caponera alessia.caponera a uniroma1.it
Mar 7 Gen 2020 10:12:19 CET

Annuncio Seminari congiunti ASI - Dipartimento Matematica Tor Vergata
Aula Dal Passo, Edificio Sogene (Dipartimento Matematica Tor Vergata)

Ore 14.00: Gianluca Polenta, ASI Space Science Data Centre

Title: Cosmology through CMB maps

Abstract: The Cosmic Microwave Background is a fundamental source of information for cosmology. In the standard inflationary scenario, the CMB can be described to first order as a Gaussian random field on the sphere, and as such cosmological information is encoded in the two-point correlation function or in the angular power spectrum. To derive these quantities as well as the likelihood function needed to estimate the cosmological parameters, a number of estimators have been developed following different trade-off between optimality, unbiasedness, and computational resources, also depending on the characteristics of the dataset to be analysed. In this talk I will review the different classes of estimators used in the CMB data analysis, focusing in particular to the solutions adopted for the ESA Planck satellite, which produced CMB full sky maps of unprecedented quality. Finally, I will briefly discuss how CMB non-Gaussianity, isotropy, and those anomalies found in the analysis of Planck data can be used to further test the inflationary paradigm.

Ore 15.00: Domenico Marinucci, Department of Mathematics, University of Rome Tor Vergata

Title: Critical Points, Multiple Testing and Point Source Detection for Cosmological Data

Abstract: In this talk, we shall review some mathematical issues arising in the analysis of Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation data; many of these issues can be related to the investigation of functionals of independent interest in random geometry. We will first review some results on harmonic analysis for spherical random fields, on the construction of spherical wavelets and on their stochastic properties; we will then show how to compute the asymptotic distribution of critical points for Fourier/wavelet components of random fields, and we will establish some ergodicity results, in the high-frequency limit. We will then investigate how to exploit these results to implement multiple testing procedures for detection of point sources (Galaxies) in CMB Data; the resulting tests will be shown to exhibit a number of optimality properties. Applications to CMB data from the Planck collaboration will also be briefly illustrated.

Grazie per l’attenzione,
Alessia Caponera
Le informazioni
contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono strettamente
riservate e indirizzate esclusivamente al destinatario. Si prega di non
leggere, fare copia, inoltrare a terzi o conservare tale messaggio se non
si è il legittimo destinatario dello stesso. Qualora tale messaggio sia
stato ricevuto per errore, si prega di restituirlo al mittente e di
cancellarlo permanentemente dal proprio computer.

The information
contained in this e mail message is strictly confidential and intended for
the use of the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, forward or store it on your computer. If you have
received the message in error, please forward it back to the sender and
delete it permanently from your computer system.