[Forum SIS] Seminar Series in Biostatistics - Unimib

Rino Bellocco rino.bellocco a unimib.it
Gio 7 Mar 2019 12:52:56 CET

Dear colleagues,

next week on March 14 at 2:30 PM we start again our series of seminars
in Biostatistics, within our Master Program in Biostatistics at the
University of Milano-Bicocca.

We have the pleasure to host Dr. Erin Gabriel from the Department of
Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet,
Stockholm, Sweden.

Title://Counterfactuals, Causal Effects and the Evaluation of Surrogates

When: March 14, 2019, 14:30-15:30

Where: Department of Statistics and Quantitative Methods, University of
Milano-Bicocca,Building U7, 4^th floor, Sala del Consiglio, Room 4064

Abstract:

Valid surrogate endpoints can make clinical trials more efficient,
allowing for more trials to be conducted and more rapid development of
effective treatments. One framework for surrogate evaluation is
principal stratification, wherein the target estimand of interest
measures vaccine efficacy in subgroups defined by the joint potential
outcomes of the biomarker endpoint under assignment to the vaccine and
under assignment to placebo, the unobserved counterfactuals. Unlike
conditioning on the observed candidate surrogate, this does not induce
confounding. However, it does cause a systematic missing data problem.
Several estimation methods and augmented data collection methods have
been suggested for allowing surrogate evaluation. Once I have introduced
the potential outcomes framework and the difficulties in evaluating
candidate surrogates under it, I will present the proposed methods for
evaluation including both a quick overview of the literature  and a more
detailed outline of my contributions.

NB:

Any late news, cancellations and other unforeseen events will be
promptly published on our homepage: *http://biostat.dismeq.unimib.it/**
*

Rino Bellocco and Simona Minotti

--
Rino Bellocco, Sc.D.
Department of Statistics and Quantitative Methods,