[Forum SIS] REMINDER: Seminari DiSIA di Francesca Dominici e Angela Ferruzza

Raffaele Guetto raffaele.guetto a unifi.it
Mer 5 Giu 2019 11:19:34 CEST

DiSIA (Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G.
Parenti")
Universitā di Firenze

- PROSSIMI SEMINARI -

6 Giugno 2019 ore 11.00

Francesca Dominici (Harvard University) terrā il seguente seminario:

Causal inference methods in environmental studies: challenges and
opportunities

Abstract: What if I told you I had evidence of a serious threat to
American national security - a terrorist attack in which a jumbo jet
will be hijacked and crashed every 12 days. Thousands will continue to
die unless we act now. This is the question before us today - but the
threat doesn't come from terrorists. The threat comes from climate
change and air pollution. We have developed an artificial neural network
model that uses on-the-ground air-monitoring data and satellite-based
measurements to estimate daily pollution levels across the continental
U.S., breaking the country up into 1-square-kilometer zones. We have
paired that information with health data contained in Medicare claims
records from the last 12 years, and for 97% of the population ages 65 or
older. We have developed statistical methods and computational efficient
algorithms for the analysis of over 460 million health records. Our
research shows that short and long term exposure to air pollution is
killing thousands of senior citizens each year. This data science
platform is telling us that federal limits on the nation's most
widespread air pollutants are not stringent enough. This type of data is
the sign of a new era for the role of data science in public health, and
also for the associated methodological challenges. For example, with
enormous amounts of data, the threat of unmeasured confounding bias is
amplified, and causality is even harder to assess with observational
studies. These and other challenges will be discussed.

Referente: Fabrizia Mealli

7 Giugno 2019 ore 15.00

Angela Ferruzza (ISTAT) terrā il seguente seminario:

Sustainable development Goals, Climate Change and Hazardous events:
statistical measures, challenges and innovations

Abstract: Sustainable development Goals, Climate Change and Hazardous
events frameworks will be presented, considering their interactions.
Challenges and innovations in the process of improving building capacity
for increasing the statistical measurues will be considered. The 2019
SDGs Istat National Report will be presented.

Referente: Alessandra Petrucci

I seminari si terranno presso l'aula 32 del DiSIA, Viale Morgagni 59,
50134 Firenze.

Tutti gli interessati sono cordialmente invitati a partecipare.