[Forum SIS] Seminar at Bergamo University

Alessandro Fasso' alessandro.fasso a unibg.it
Gio 1 Mar 2018 18:43:41 CET

STaRs Supporting Talented Researchers program of University of Bergamo

Title: Covariances for spatio-temporal statistics on the sphere

Speaker: Dr. Nil Venet, STARs post doc at unibg

date: March 5 2018, 15:00

Location: Department MIP, Viale Marconi 5, Dalmine BG, Italy (
https://goo.gl/7RcaEh)

Abstract: Gaussian processes are first choice stochastic models in almost
every applicative field, including geostatistics of climate data.
Covariance functions can be seen as the key ingredients to Gaussian
modeling: finding a suitable Gaussian process for a given application is
equivalent to finding a “good” covariance function.
Alas, not every function is the covariance of a Gaussian process, and
proving that one is can be a hard problem.
In this talk we will focus on covariance functions for spatio-temporal
modeling at the scale of planet Earth, keeping in mind climate data.
We will start with a gentle introduction to the theoretical background and
a quick review of the existing covariances on the sphere, and finish with
some new ideas about anisotropic and seasonal covariances.

Alessandro Fassò
President of the International Environmetrics Society
Professor of Statistics
University of Bergamo
Viale Marconi 5,   24044 Dalmine BG I,   Italy

*Office*:  tel.  +39 035 2052 323,   fax. +39 035 2052 310
*Personal* *fax*. +39 035 7423 1165
Cell.  +39 338 8026 616
email: alessandro.fasso a unibg.it,
*Skype*: alessandro.fasso,