[Forum SIS] Jean Monnet Chair Seminar

Monica Pratesi monica.pratesi a unipi.it
Ven 17 Nov 2017 14:53:56 CET

Jean Monnet Chair - Small Area Methods for Monitoring of Poverty and
Living Conditions in EU

Monday, *27th November 2017*from 12.15 to 13,45

*Seminar “Big Data, Big Promise, Big Challenge: Can Small Area
Estimation Play a Role in the Big Data Centric World?”*

Venue: Room L2, Polo Didattico delle Piagge

Via Giacomo Matteotti, 11, 56124 Pisa

*Speaker:**Partha Lahiri*, Joint Program in Survey Methodology and
Department of Mathematics, University of Maryland, College Park

*
*

*Abstract:*The demand for various socio-economic, transportation, and
health statistics for small geographical areas is steadily increasing at
a time when survey agencies are desperately looking for ways to reduce
costs to meet fixed budgetary requirements.In the current survey
environment, the application of standard sample survey methods for small
areas, which require a large sample, is generally not feasible when
considering the costs.One of the key factors that lead to the success of
small area estimation (SAE) methodology is the availability of strong
auxiliary variables.The accessibility of big data from different sources
is now bringing new opportunities for statisticians to develop
innovative SAE methods.In this talk, I will provide an outline of how
SAE methods can be adapted to incorporate big data in improving local
area statistics.Then I will discuss my recent collaboration with my UMD
colleagues --- Professor Cinzia Cirillo of Department of Civil and
Environmental Engineering, and Professor Joseph JaJa of Department of
Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the University of Maryland
Institute for Advanced Computer Studies (UMIACS).Finally, as an example
from our different collaborative research projects, I will explain how
SAE can help solve a seemingly different problem of predicting in
real-time traffic by exploiting rich vehicle probe big data.

*
*

*Short Bio*

Dr. Partha Lahiri is a Professor of Survey Methodology and Mathematics
at the University of Maryland, College Park and an Adjunct Research
Professor at the Institute of Social Research, University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor.Before coming to Maryland, Dr. Lahiri was the Milton Mohr
Distinguished Professor of Statistics at the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln. His research interests include big data, Bayesian
statistics, record linkage, and small-area estimation.Dr. Lahiri has
served on a number of advisory committees, including the U.S. Census
Advisory committee and U.S. National Academy panel.Over the years Dr.
Lahiri advised various local and international organizations such as the
United Nations Development Program, the World Bank, and the Gallup
Organization.He is a Fellow of the American Statistical Association and
the Institute of Mathematical Statistics and an elected member of the
International Statistical Institute.

Monica Pratesi

Full Professor of Statistics
holder of the Jean Monnet Chair
“Small Area Methods for Monitoring of Poverty and Living Conditions in EU”
sampleu.ec.unipi.it

Department of Economics and Management
University of Pisa
tel: +39 (0)50 2216 252