[Forum SIS] Next DEC statistics seminar - March 16th - Rosasco & Rudi

Raffaella Piccarreta raffaella.piccarreta a unibocconi.it
Ven 10 Mar 2017 00:37:32 CET

We are glad to announce the next:

DEC - Statistics Seminar

Thursday, March 16 th , 2017

Bocconi University,

Room 3-E4-SR03, Via Rontgen 1 - 3rd floor

Lorenzo Rosasco (11.30)

Università di Genova, Massachusetts Institute of Technology &Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia

Alessandro Rudi (12.30)

Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia Regularization Methods for Large Scale Machine Learning

Abstract: Regularization techniques originally developed to solve linear inverse problems can be extended to derive nonparametric machine learning methods. These methods perform well in practice and can be shown to have optimal statistical guarantees.

However, computational requirements can prevent application to large scale scenarios. In this talk, we will describe recent attempts to tackle this challenge.

Our presentation will be divided in two parts.

In the first part, we will discuss so called iterative regularization, aka early stopping regularization. In particular, we will discuss accelerated and stochastic variants of this method and show how they allow to control at the same time the statistical and time complexities of the obtained solutions.

In the second part, we will discuss novel regularization schemes obtained combining regularization with stochastic projections. These latter methods allow to control not only the statistical and time complexities of the obtained solutions but also its memory requirements.

Kind regards,

Raffaella Piccarreta and Isadora Antoniano

The DEC statistics seminars schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

ATTENTION:

If you are a guest and you do not have a Bocconi ID Card to access to the Bocconi Buildings, please confirm your participation by sending an email to simona.gagino a unibocconi.it
In addition, we suggest to print, fill out and send the attached form (to give your consent to personal data handling) via email to the same address. In this way, the check-in procedure at the entrance will be faster and easier.

Raffaella Piccarreta
Associate Professor - Statistics
DEC - Department of Decision Sciences,
Universita' L.Bocconi, via Guglielmo Röntgen 1 (3rd floor, room D1-09). 20136, Milano.
email: piccarreta a unibocconi.it
tel. +39-02-58365659 / fax +39-02-58365630

Web page (ENGLISH VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.eu/raffaellapiccarreta/
(ITALIAN VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.it/raffaellapiccarreta/