[Forum SIS] Avviso di seminario: Cardinali a DISMEQ (Dipartimento di Statististica e Metodi Quantitativi, Milano-Bicocca)

Fulvia Pennoni fulvia.pennoni a unimib.it
Gio 6 Lug 2017 16:45:44 CEST

Dipartimento di Statistica e Metodi Quantitativi
Via Bicocca degli Arcimboldi, 8 - 20126 Milano

“COSTATIONARY INFERENCE FOR LOCALLY STATIONARY TIME SERIES”

Alessandro Cardinali

School of Computing and Mathematics, Plymouth University
University of Plymouth

Lunedì 10 Luglio ore 14.00  Ed. U7,  2° piano,  aula 2061

Abstract:

In this presentation we illustrate a novel inferential approach to estimate
time-varying parameters of  locally stationary time series. This
approach is based on costationary combinations, that is, time-varying
deterministic linear combinations of locally stationary time series that
are second-order stationary. We first review the theory of
costationarity and formalize a Generalised Method of Moments estimator
for the coefficient vectors.  We then use this new framework to derive
an estimator for the (time-varying) covariance of locally stationary
time series and we show that the new covariance estimator is more
efficient than classical estimators exclusively based on the
evolutionary cross-periodogram. We confirm our theoretical findings
through a simulation experiment. We then present a new analysis of
financial log-returns showing that our new estimator is capable to
highlight well known economic shocks. As a second example of our
approach we finally discuss forecasting of locally stationary time
series based on costationary combinations.

Si allega la locandina

Cordiali saluti

Fulvia Pennoni

--
Fulvia Pennoni
Department of Statistics and Quantitative Methods