[Forum SIS] DEC Statistics Seminar -June 23rd

Raffaella Piccarreta raffaella.piccarreta a unibocconi.it
Lun 20 Giu 2016 11:31:07 CEST

Dear all,

We are glad to announce the next :

DEC - Statistics Seminar

Thursday, June 23rd

Bocconi University,

Room 3-E4-SR03

Via Rontgen 1 - 3rd floor

Time: 12:30 pm

Rebecca Steorts (Duke University)

" Methods for Quantifying Conflict Casualties in Syria"

Abstract:

Information about social entities is often spread across multiple large databases, each degraded by noise, and without unique identifiers shared across databases. Record linkage—reconstructing the actual entities and their attributes—is essential to using big data and is challenging not only for inference but also for computation. In this talk, I motivate record linkage by the current conflict in Syria. It has been tremendously well documented, however, we still do not know how many people have been killed from conflict-related violence. We describe a novel approach towards estimating death counts in Syria and challenges that are unique to this database. We first introduce a novel approach to record linkage using a new Bayesian nonparametric property (BNP)—microclustering, and then a model that assumes this property. Many BNP methods assume the size of each latent cluster grows linearly with the number of total data points (records). However, this is not the case for such tasks as record linkage, and specifically with the Syrian conflict. Micro clustering, assumes instead a sublinear growth, or rather that the the size of each latent cluster is grows negligibly compared to the total number of data points. Advantages of our construction are that our model quantifies the uncertainty in the inference and propagates any linkage uncertainty into subsequent analyses. We then introduce computational speed-ups to avoid all-to-all record comparisons based upon locality-sensitive hashing from the computer science literature. Finally, we speak to the success and challenges of solving a problem that is at the forefront of national headlines and news.

Kind regards,

Raffaella Piccarreta and Isadora Antoniano

The DEC statistics seminars schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

ATTENTION:

If you are a guest and you do not have a Bocconi ID Card to access to the Bocconi Buildings, please confirm your participation by sending an email to simona.gagino a unibocconi.it
In addition, we suggest to print, fill out and send the attached form (to give your consent to personal data handling) via email to the same address. In this way, the check-in procedure at the entrance will be faster and easier.

Simona Gagino
Department of Decision Sciences
Bocconi University
Via Röntgen 1
3rd floor - room D208
20136 Milano, Italy
T: +39 02 5836.5553
F: +39 02 5836.5630
E: simona.gagino a unibocconi.it

Raffaella Piccarreta
Prof. Associato - Statistica
DEC - Department of Decision Sciences,
Universita' L.Bocconi, via Guglielmo Röntgen 1 (3rd floor, room D1-09). 20136, Milano.
email: piccarreta a unibocconi.it
tel. +39-02-58365659 / fax +39-02-58365630

Web page (ENGLISH VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.eu/raffaellapiccarreta/
(ITALIAN VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.it/raffaellapiccarreta/
---
Dai il tuo 5x1000 alla Bocconi.
Aiuta gli studenti meritevoli a costruire il proprio futuro.
CF 80024610158.
www.unibocconi.it/5x1000

Please note that the above message is addressed only to individuals filing Italian income tax returns.
---