[Forum SIS] seminario Steven Scott in Bicocca

fabio.bellini fabio.bellini a unimib.it
Ven 29 Lug 2016 11:15:07 CEST

Cari colleghi, vi segnalo che il giorno venerdì 2
settembre alle ore 17, presso la Sala del Consiglio al IV
piano dell'edificio U7, Steven Scott, Senior Economic
Analyst at Google, terrà un seminario su

Predicting the Present with Bayesian Structural Time
Series

Abstract

This article describes a system for short term forecasting
based on an ensemble prediction that averages over
different combinations of predictors. The system combines
a structural time series model for the target series with
regression component capturing the contributions of
contemporaneous search query data. A spike-and-slab prior
on the regression coefficients induces sparsity,
dramatically reducing the size of the regression problem.
Our system averages over potential contributions from a
very large set of models and gives easily digested reports
of which coefficients are likely to be important. We
illustrate with applications to initial claims for
unemployment benefits and to retail sales. Although our
exposition focuses on using search engine data to forecast
economic time series, the underlying statistical methods
can be applied to more general short term forecasting with
large numbers of contemporaneous predictors (joint work
with Hal Varian).

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare;
l'evento è organizzato in collaborazione con Innovation
Pub.