[Forum SIS] seminario Steven Scott in Bicocca 2/9

fabio.bellini fabio.bellini a unimib.it
Mar 30 Ago 2016 17:41:54 CEST

Cari colleghi, vi segnalo che il giorno venerdì 2
settembre alle ore 17, presso la Aula Martini al piano
interrato dell'edificio U6, Steven Scott, Director of
Statistics Research at Google, terrà un seminario su

Predicting the Present with Bayesian Structural Time
Series

This article describes a system for short term forecasting
based on an ensemble prediction that averages over
different combinations of predictors. The system combines
a structural time series model for the target series with
regression component capturing the contributions
of contemporaneous search query data. A spike-and-slab
prior on the regression coefficients induces sparsity,
dramatically reducing the size of the regression problem.
Our system averages over potential contributions from a
very large set of models and gives easily digested reports
of which coefficients are likely to be important. We
illustrate with applications to initial claims for
unemployment benefits and to retail sales. Although our
exposition focuses on using search engine data to forecast
economic time series, the underlying statistical methods
can be applied to more general short term forecasting with
large numbers of contemporaneous predictors (joint work
with Hal Varian).

L'evento è organizzato in collaborazione con Innovation
Pub e sarà seguito da un piccolo rinfresco.
Sarà inoltre possibile seguire lo streaming su
http://streaming.unimib.it/.