[Forum SIS] Seminario 12 Marzo Dott. Cattuto

Dip. Scienze Statistiche - Mi dip.scienzestatistiche a unicatt.it
Mer 4 Mar 2015 09:34:19 CET

Il Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche dell'Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore ha organizzato un seminario, presentato dal Dott. Ciro Cattuto, Scientific Director e Data Science Laboratory
Head, ISI Foundation, dal titolo:

High resolution social networks: measuring, representing and modeling.

Giovedì 12 Marzo dalle ore 14,00

Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore - Milano

Largo Gemelli,1

Abstract:
Smartphones and wearable devices are opening up a new window on human social behavior at the fine resolution of individual face-to-face interactions, impacting diverse research domains that span the social sciences, epidemiology, computer science, and more. In this talk we will focus on large-scale records of human face-to-face interactions measured by means of wearable sensors. We will illustrate the structural and temporal heterogeneities of the empirical data and show that high-resolution social networks yield insights on gender homophily and on the relation between mental health and position in the network. We will discuss a hierarchy of summarized representations for time-varying social network data and explore the interplay between the richness in detail of the data representation and its ability to accurately model important features of dynamical processes unfolding over the network, such as epidemic processes. In important contexts - such as schools - where face-to-face interactions are shaped by spatial constraints and by an externally-defined activity schedule, a rich meso-scale network structure may arise: we will show how latent factor analysis techniques can be used to detect correlated activity patterns and assess their relevance.

Segreteria Organizzativa:
Sig.ra Barbara Villa
Dipartimento di Scienze statistiche
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Largo Gemelli, 1
Edificio Via Lanzone, 18
20123 Milano
Tel. 02/72342647
Fax 02/72343064
http://dipartimenti.unicatt.it/scienze_statistiche

 Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to