[Forum SIS] Seminar - Speaker: Prof. Michael Rosenblum

Alessandra mattei a disia.unifi.it
Gio 23 Lug 2015 09:40:15 CEST

Dear all,

Michael Rosenblum, Assistant Professor of Biostatistics at Johns Hopkins
Bloomberg School of Public Health (Baltimore, Maryland,USA) will give a
talk on

  "Optimal Tests of Treatment Effects for the Overall Population and Two
Subpopulations in Randomized Trials, using Sparse Linear Programming"

Please, see below the abstract of the talk.

The seminar will be on Monday, July 27th, 2015 at the Department of
Statistica, Informatica,  Applicazioni "G. Parenti" (Viale Morgagni 59,
Firenze) - Room A.

Abstract.
We propose new, optimal methods for analyzing randomized trials, when it
is suspected that treatment
effects may differ in two predefined subpopulations. Such subpopulations
could be defined by a
biomarker or risk factor measured at baseline. The goal is to
simultaneously learn which subpopulations
benefit from an experimental treatment, while providing strong control
of the familywise Type I
error rate. We formalize this as a multiple testing problem and show it
is computationally infeasible
to solve using existing techniques. Our solution involves a novel
approach, in which we first transform
the original multiple testing problem into a large, sparse linear
program. We then solve this problem
using advanced optimization techniques. This general method can solve a
variety of multiple testing
problems and decision theory problems related to optimal trial design,
for which no solution was
previously available. In particular, we construct new multiple testing
procedures that satisfy minimax
and Bayes optimality criteria. For a given optimality criterion, our new
approach yields the optimal
tradeoff between power to detect an effect in the overall population
versus power to detect effects in
subpopulations. We demonstrate our approach in examples motivated by two
randomized trials of new
treatments for HIV.

Your sincerely
Alessandra Mattei