[Forum SIS] DEC Seminar - February 26th

Raffaella Piccarreta raffaella.piccarreta a unibocconi.it
Ven 20 Feb 2015 12:10:09 CET

Dear all we are glad to announce the following seminar:

DEC - Statistics Seminar
Università Bocconi,
Room 3-E4-SR03
Via Rontgen 1 - 3rd floor
Time: 12:30pm

The DEC seminar schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

Thursday, February 26th

Pedro Delicado
(Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya)

"Modeling Function-Valued Stochastic Processes, With Applications to Fertility Dynamics"

Abstract:
We introduce a simple and interpretable model for functional data analysis for situations where the observations at each location are functional rather than scalar. This new approach is based on a tensor product representation of the function-valued process and utilizes a marginal functional principal component analysis. The resulting principal components are shown to provide optimal marginal representations in a well-defined sense. Given a sample of independent realizations of the underlying function-valued stochastic process, we propose straightforward fitting methods to obtain the components of this model and to establish asymptotic consistency and rates of convergence for the proposed estimates. The methods are illustrated by modeling the dynamics of annual fertility profile functions for 17 countries. This analysis demonstrates that the proposed approach leads to insightful interpretations of the model components and interesting conclusions.

Joint work with
Kehui Chen (Dept. of Statistics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, USA) and
Hans-Georg Müller (Department of Statistics, University of California, Davis, USA)

Raffaella Piccarreta
DEC - Department of Decision Sciences,
Universita' L.Bocconi, via Guglielmo Röntgen 1 (3rd floor, room D1-09). 20136, Milano.
email: piccarreta a unibocconi.it
tel. +39-02-58365659 / fax +39-02-58365630

Web page (ENGLISH VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.eu/raffaellapiccarreta/
(ITALIAN VERSION): http://faculty.unibocconi.it/raffaellapiccarreta/